Spring 2022 Viterbi Career & Internship Expo Dates Coming Soon!
The Viterbi Virtual Career & Internship Fair provides organizations with an opportunity to recruit candidates for full-time and paid internship opportunities. Establish strong connections with engineering students.
In order to accommodate all Viterbi students and employers safely, the Viterbi Virtual Career Fair will be hosted 100% virtually.
Registration Deadline: Spring 2022 date TBD
Key features of the Virtual Career Fair:
- Gain access to Viterbi's incredibly talented and diverse engineering student population, which consists of students from all over the world.
- Use your own video conferencing platform to chat with students at the fair. If you don't currently have a video conferencing platform, we recommend Zoom.
- Engage students using one-on-one video chatting or group chatting to speak with multiple students on one video chat.
- Login from the convenience of your home or office, and avoid the costs associated with in-person career fairs such as travel, lodging, and shipping costs.
Every Virtual Career & Internship Fair registration includes:
- Entry for unlimited representatives - We recommend several representatives attend.
- Extended virtual recruiting hours.
- Access to student attendees up to one hour prior to the event.
- One-on-one and group chat video interactions.
- Each representative receives an email with chat history and student resumes after the event.
Virtual Career & Internship Fair:
- Early-Bird For-Profit: $200
- Early-Bird Non-Profit/Government: $150
- Regular For-Profit: $250
- Regular Non-Profit/Government: $150
- Late Registration: $300
Registration fees are for a single booth only. Organizations that require two booths to recruit for different business units will be responsible for a second registration fee.
The Fall 2021 Virtual Career Fair will be hosted on the Symplicity Virtual Career Fair platform. Download the:
To access the Career Fair, each representative will log into the Viterbi recruiting platform and go to Events > Career Fairs > Click the “Enter Event” button next to the Virtual Career Fair
- Symplicity Virtual Career fair employer trainings Wednesday September 29th at 11 am (PST). Register For a Live Training.
- View the Viterbi Virtual Career Expo Employer Training - Click Here
How to register and add representatives (10 mins) - Click Here
How representatives reset their password and access Gateway (6 mins) - Click Here
How your representatives login and add their video links (8 mins) - Click Here
How to view and contact students before the fair (5 mins) - Click Here
- How to post jobs to your employer profile before the fair (5 mins) - Click Here
How to pay by credit card (3 mins) - Click Here
How to add your video chat instructions (1 min) - Click Here
How to go online and begin chatting + overview of notes (4 mins) - Click Here
How to live chat with students (14 mins) - Click Here
How to view completed chats (1 min) - Click Here
What students see at the Virtual Career Fair (5 mins) - Click Here
You will receive a final invoice after your registration on Viterbi Career Gateway as been approved. While we accept both credit card and check payments, credit card payments are preferred.
- Spring 2022 Payments Due on [date TBD]
- Pay your invoice at any time by going to Viterbi Career Gateway > My Account > Invoice > Filter for a balance more than 0 > Click on the invoice > Click on the pay by credit card button
- Pay by credit card and avoid late fees. If you are paying by American Express, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the onetime credit card authorization form.
*Late payments will incur a $100 late processing fee.
Cancellations: Cancellations must be made in writing to email@example.com. Refund is only issued after cancellation in writing has been received*
*Any cancellations after [Spring 2022 date TBD] will be billed for the full registration fee.
Research student demographics to learn more about Viterbi before you recruit.
To view the Viterbi Student Profile:
- Navigate to Enrollments
- Search for University of Southern California
- Select which Degree Level(s)
- Filter columns to find the demographics you would like to see
Have questions about the virtual fair?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Symplicity Platform Information:
Register for the date and time you wish to participate:
- Registration deadline: Spring Date TBD
- Deadline to add representatives and for them to upload a video link: Spring Date TBD
You provide details in your booth on when you will be logged in.
After your register, you can modify your details such as adding representatives and video links. You can do this by going to:
Viterbi Career Gateway > Events > Career Fairs > Click the “Registered” button beside the Career Expo > Click “Registration” > scroll down and click the “modify” button
Adding Representatives: To add all representatives who will be attending the Virtual Career Fair:
- Add the names and email addresses of the representatives participating in the event for your organization.
- Add yourself as a representative as well if you will be attending.
- All representatives who are added will receive a direct email from email@example.com with a link to set up their account.
- This link expires after 24 hours
- If the link has expired, please use the forgot password page with their email.
- Once they have created their passwords, they can log in and add their video chat links directly under their representative information in the registration.
- They can do this by modifying the registration.
- To modify a registration, go to Viterbi Career Gateway > Events > Career Fairs > Click the “Registered” button beside the Career Expo > Click “Registration” > scroll down and click the “modify” button
- After modifying, Viterbi Career Connections will re-approve the registration.
- Live trainings TBD
View the Viterbi Virtual Career Expo Employer Training - Click Here
Viterbi Career Connections Tutorial Videos:
- How to register and add representatives (10 mins) - Click Here
- How representatives reset their password and access Gateway (6 mins) - Click Here
- How your representatives login add their video links (8 mins) - Click Here
- How to view and contact students before the fair (5 mins) - Click Here
- How to pay by credit card (3 mins) - Click Here
- How to post jobs to your employer profile before the fair (5 mins) - Click Here
- How to add your video chat instructions (1 min) - Click Here
- How to go online and begin chatting + overview of notes (4 mins) - Click Here
- How to live chat with students (14 mins) - Click Here
- How to view completed chats (1 min) - Click Here
- What students see at the Virtual Career Fair (5 mins) - Click Here
- Before the event, attend a live employer training on Symplicity Virtual Career Fair.
- Symplicity is hosting a training webinar to ensure you have a successful virtual recruiting experience. Training details coming soon!
- Internet Explorer is no longer supported. Please use another browser. A white screen/error will occur when initiating a student chat if Internet Explorer is used.
- When entering virtual meeting links, highlight the text and click on the “Insert/edit link” icon in the HTML toolbar. Insert the link in the URL field and select Ok. You should then see the link as a hyperlink. This will create easier access and flow when students join the 1-on-1 or Group Chat meetings.
- When finishing a chat, be sure to remove the current student before admitting the next student so that two students are not in the virtual meeting room at the same time. You may want to lock the meeting room as well, per meeting software.
- After entering Notes for a student, revisit your “View Chats” to move to the next student in the queue.
- Depending on the platform, you may need to clear the chat history after each student meeting. For some meeting software such as Zoom, the chat history remains for the entire session. Clear out the chat to avoid sharing student-specific info prior to the next chat.
- Before you leave the virtual career fair, make sure to set your status as "Offline." This will clear your queue and end all chat activity.
- Go to Viterbi Career Gateway to log in or click “forgot password” if you are new to the system.
- You can access the fair 60 minutes before the event starts
- Once logged in, go to Events>>Career Fairs>>Fall Virtual Career Fair and click View Chats.
- Confirm your meeting information. Update with a new video link if you need to under Chat Instructions.
- To update your registration, ask your coordinator to log in and click "Modify Registration"
- Upload a profile picture in the Account/Personal Profile section.
- The event coordinator from your office has set the "Expected Chat Time per Student," which is the same for all representatives at your company. If you would like to modify Expected Chat Time per Student, you will need to ask your event coordinator to make any changes.
- Set your Status to Online.
- Start your video meeting using the video link provided in Chat Instructions and keep your video meeting running for the entire length of the fair. Make sure you have two browser windows open side by side - one for video meeting and another one for Symplicity, so you can see the timer.
- If your Alternate Chat Instructions include a phone number, make sure to have your phone handy if students experience technical difficulties.
- When the fair starts, you will see students lining up in your queue.
- Select the student at the top of the list, unless the student is already video chatting with another representative from your company. It may take a couple of minutes for a student to join your video chat.
- Once you have started to video chat with a student, watch the timer, which will count down from the maximum time to zero. When time is up, you will see an alert and hear a “ping” sound.
- When you are done, click End Chat in Symplicity, and Dismiss Attendee in your video meeting. This enables you to keep your video meeting running, ensuring no overlap between students.
- You can mark the student as a candidate you are interested in or not interested in, and take notes. This information is not shared with the student.
- If you need to step away for a short break, set your status to Busy. Students can continue to join your queue.
- If you need to take a longer break and no other representative from your company is online, then set your status to Offline. Students will be notified that you are no longer online and will likely leave your queue. The system will automatically send you resumes of students who were in line but who did not have a chance to connect with you.
- If you select students who are busy chatting with another company, you will not be able to select them. Instead, they will stay in your queue for later conversations.
- When the fair is over, you can filter students by Overall Feedback and download resumes.
- Before or during the fair, you can generate interest in your company by inviting students to video chat with you. Go to the All RSVP’d Students tab, use Advanced Search to find students of interest, select them, and use Mail To/Invite to Chat. There is a default template which you can customize.
Download the Frequently Asked Questions For Symplicity Virtual Career Fair HERE.
Q: What browser is best to use?
The virtual fair is NOT compatible with Internet Explorer. OK: Chrome, Firefox
Q: How do I join the Career Fair on the day of the event?
To access the Career Fair on February 4th, each representative will log into Viterbi Career Gateway > and go to Events > Career Fairs > There will be a "View Chats" Button next to the Career & Internship Expo
Q: I am a representative, how do I make an account on Symplicity to join the fair?
Your account is created for you when your administrator adds your email under the "representative" area of the registration form. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to create your password.
If you missed the email you can go to Viterbi Career Gateway, click the "forgot password" button, and input your email address. Then you will receive another password reset link and be able to reset your password, and log into the portal.
Q: How do I add more representatives who will be attending the Virtual Career Fair?
You can add representatives to your virtual "Booth" for the event by adding them directly into the registration form. You can do this by going to:
Viterbi Career Gateway > Events > Career Fairs > Click the “Registered” button beside Career Expo > Click “Registration” > scroll down and click the “modify” button
Once you add your representatives, they will receive an automatic email invitation to join Symplicity, sent to the email you put into the form.
Q: Can you add reps after the registration?
Yes, just "modify" the registration and then it will be re-approved
Q: Do reps needs their own links added before they can chat?
YES - must add their own links in their rep information. Reps can add this to their chat profile under "meeting instructions" anytime leading up to the fair, 1 hour before the event when the event opens for employers, or when they first log in. Before they can shat with students they MUST add their unique video link and make sure it is open on another browser to chat with them.
Q: Will the system generate a video chat queue link on it's own?
NO - You and every rep attending must add your own unique links to connect with you. You provide your preferred platform > zoom, go-to meeting, Webex etc.
Q: How will each rep have their own username and password?
Once the rep has been added to the registration form, they can go to the employer platform of your host school and click "forgot password
Follow the link in the email they receive to create their password (this link will expire after 24 hours)
Q: Group chat - What it is?
It is an option to also offer chats for students in small groups, or host a presentation during the fair at a set time.
NOTE: You need a separate person and a separate link managing group chat. This feature is not automated like the 1:1 chats, so if you host a group chat you will be in charge of managing the flow (for example, if you leave the link to the group chat open for the duration of the fair, students will hop in whenever they like). What we recommend: Host "office hours" and manage the waiting room within your own video software to address a few students at a time OR put instructions like "We will be hosting a group chat 12-1 pm for one hour to go over our internship program" and have the link as a meeting only set to be open from 12-1 pm. The Group Chat feature is optional and if you will not be using group chat, leave the area blank so it does not appear on the student interface next to your profile.
Q: Can you have two reps together on a chat?
Q: Can you add media links and video, YouTube, etc.) to your profile?
Yes, you can, add to profile or email to student ahead of the fair via inmail
Q: Can you add your own registration (resume drop, google form, etc) in the chat instructions to collect student information?
No. If you add these details in your chat instructions, only students that connect with you will see it. If you're hoping to collect all student information, you should add these types of links in your Company Profile. All students can view the company profile, whether or not they chat with you.
Q: Are students notified of our 'interested' or 'not interested' notes?
No, your notes are internal to you.
Q: And are we speaking with primarily seniors?
If you specify that in your registration- then yes. Students can view your company profile which outlines what you are recruiting for.
Q: I'm in my Account Profile right now, but there is no option as a representative to add my zoom account. Can you please walk through that process as a rep?
Navigate to your Career Expo Registration - click "Modify" then navigate to the representative portion of the form. Under your representative information, you can put your link under "meeting instructions"
Q: How many lines can students stand in?
We have programmed the system to allow them to stand in up to 3 lines at the same time.
Q: Do students schedule and book a time to meet with you? This way you're meeting 1:1 with a student?
NO - They line up in a queue just like they would in an in person career fair. They can create their schedule for fair by seeing when you will be logged on.
Q: What happens if a student is chatting with an employer but they get to the front of the line for another employer?
If a student is talking with another employer, they will appear as "unavailable" for other employers. They will keep their place in line, and the employer will be able to invite student#2. When Student #1 becomes available, the employer will have to grab them next.
Q: What happens if I talk beyond when my timer ends?
Nothing! You can chat longer if you like (but keep in mind that students are waiting to speak with you) and manually end your chat, then click the next student in line to chat.
Q: What is the difference between "busy" and "offline"?
Busy is just to step away for a minute (for bathroom breaks, lunches, etc.). "Offline" tells students that you are not available and they will be connected to another representative.
Q: Do we have to use different video links to chat?
Yes. Each representative will have to add their own individual video link into their profile within the registration form. It is best practice to do this well before the fair, but you may also do this one hour before the event. One hour before the start time (7:00 am PST on February 4th) employers will see the “View Chats” button and can get into the chats area and update their meeting instructions.
Q: Can employers attending the fair view and contact student attendees before the Career Fair?
Yes. Employers can view the list of rsvp’d students any time prior before the event. This is nice because they can search the students, look at their resumes if the students added one, and invite students to chat ahead of time (there’s an email they can trigger for this).
One hour before the event, employers will see the “View Chats” button and can get into the chats area and update their meeting instructions. The view chats button is like the virtual door they walk through to enter the actual event.