ENGR 395: Undergraduate Internship Course for Credit
Register for ENGR 395 if you would like to
receive technical elective credit for working in an internship/co-op.
The course is graded Credit/No Credit. To get a passing grade, you will need to complete a 10-page technical report graded by a faculty member within your academic department. View sample Syllabus.
- Fall/Spring Semesters: 2 units*
- Summer Session: 1 unit*
- Co-Op**: 3 units* over 2 semesters
To ensure a rewarding internship experience and earn academic credit for your internship, internships must be:
- At least 12 weeks during Fall and Spring, 10 weeks during Summer.
- A minimum of 10 hours per week.
*Students are financially responsible for the per-unit cost **If you are interested in a co-op, please schedule an appointment on Viterbi Career Gateway to discuss the additional details.
Completed at least three semesters of engineering curriculum
2.6 + GPA
Work experience in the internship directly relates to your respective engineering major
Working at least 15-20 hours per week during the fall/spring semesters. During the summer, you can work up to 40 hours per week.
- Step #1 Obtain Completed Course Summary: The completed course summary can be found on Oasis. Please provide a one-page screenshot that includes your grades and GPA to date.
- Step #2 Obtain Offer Letter & Job Description: Submit an offer letter provided by the company on the company letterhead. The offer letter must provide a start and end date, the location of your internship site (If you are working remotely, the offer letter must indicate you are working remotely and specify the location where you will be working remotely), and how many hours per week you will be working (ie. 20 hours). You will also need to submit a detailed job description. The description should provide enough information to determine that the internship is related to your major. See Sample Job Description.
- Step #3 Seek Academic Advising : It is the student's responsibility to check in with their academic advisor and discuss how the credit for the ENGR 395 course will or will not impact academic progress, including credits needed for graduation. You should also consult with your advisor whether or not your department will grant technical elective credit for ENGR 395.
- Step #4 Identify Faculty: the student is responsible for seeking out a faculty within their academic department that agrees to grade their technical report. The syllabus should be shared with them so they understand the course and their responsibility. If you need recommendations, consult with the ENGR 395 Course Coordinator. View Sample Syllabus.
- Step #5 Submit D-Clearance Application Form the student must complete the D-clearance form within the university deadline. Summer 2023 Registration is now open. The deadline to register for summer classes is June 16, 2023Step #6 Complete the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Form: International students must submit a CPT I-20 Request Form to the Office of International Services' (OIS) Trojan International System. Students must be enrolled in the internship course before submitting the request to OIS.
CPT & International Student Information
Still Have Questions?
Check Out Where Viterbi Students Interned Over Summer…
Published on July 1st, 2021
Last updated on September 28th, 2023