The On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) Program provides you with the opportunity to interview with organizations from all industries during the fall and spring semesters for full-time salaried and/or paid, structured internship positions in the Student Engagement & Career Connections’ facilities.
Full-time undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in a degree program in Viterbi and have completed the OCI Contract are eligible to participate. Alumni are not eligible. An exception is made for December graduates who are able to participate during the Spring semester following their graduation.
Fall 2017 Dates
August 28 – December 1, 2017
Spring 2018 Dates
January 15 – April 27, 2018
- Login to your Viterbi Career Gateway account.
- Submit an OCR Contract.
- Meet with a career counselor or internship advisor for help with your resume or cover letter during drop-in hours.
- Make sure that your profile is up-to-date and accurate. Falsifying information will result in account suspension.
- Upload your resume into Gateway under the “Documents” tab. You can also upload other employment-related documents, such as cover letters and unofficial transcripts. The system allows up to 50 documents. Be sure to select an appropriate “Default” resume.
- Login to Viterbi Career Gateway.
- Go to “Jobs and Internships” –> “Advanced Search” –> “Show Me” and select one of the following:
- Interviews I Qualify For: This search will only display qualified interview schedules.
- All Interviews: This search will display all OCR opportunities, both qualifying and non-qualifying.
- Screening Criteria: Provides information on the desired applicant type, major(s), graduation dates, and work authorization for the position. Applicant type refers to the status of your OCR Contract.
- Check this section often as new schedules will become available throughout the semester.
- Review the “How to Apply” section for additional application instructions, such as applying through a company website or instructions on submitting documents.
- Submit an application by clicking “Apply.” You will then be directed to submit the required files from your “Documents.”
- Applicants that do not qualify for a position, but have the desired skills/experience listed in the job description, are encouraged to email the contact listed in the schedule a brief introduction along with a resume and cover letter. If the recruiter is interested in adding the applicant to the schedule they will contact the Student Engagement & Career Connections Office.
- To update a previously submitted document go to “Jobs and Internships” –> “My OCR Applications” –> select the three dots on the right next to the position and select “Withdraw.”
NOTE: Applications can only be withdrawn during the resume submission period.
Reviewing Application Status
- Applicants will be notified of one of the following statuses under the “Interviews” tab:
- Preselect: Selected for an interview and must sign up during the preselection sign-up period and before the alternate sign-up date to guarantee an interview time slot.
- Alternate: Selected as a backup and is not guaranteed an interview time slot. Alternates can only sign up during the alternate sign-up period.
- Not Invited: Unfortunately, you have not been selected for an interview.
- Schedule an Interview: Go to “Schedule Interview” and select an available time slot that fits your schedule.
- Decline an Interview: Go to “Decline Interview” to notify the employer that you are no longer interested in interviewing for this position. This will allow another student to sign up for the available time slot.
- Cancel an Interview: Go to “Unschedule Interview.” Cancellations received after the cancellation deadline will be marked as a no-show and access to OCR/Gatewat will be removed.
Before, During & After
- Info Sessions/Trojan Talks: Attend an information session to learn more about a company and meet some of their key employees.
- Career Advising: Participate in a career advising appointment to fine tune your interviewing skills. Log in to Gateway to request an appointment.
- Read The Interview – Get Ready
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early before your interview in professional attire.
- Interviews are conducted at various locations. Review the “Interview Location” section of the schedule for details.
- Write a thank-you email after each interview.
Evaluating An Offer
Congratulations on reaching this point in the hiring process!
- Read the Guide to Evaluating an Offer
- Review the Job Offer Policies & Guidelines
- Meet with a career counselor or internship advisor during drop-in hours or schedule an appointment.