Department of Defense (DoD) SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program
Do you aspire to be a lifelong innovator? Are you a motivated student with a passion for STEM? The SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program, funded by the Department of Defense (DoD), offers undergraduate and graduate students pursuing STEM disciplines full tuition, an annual stipend, book and health insurance allowances, summer internships and a guaranteed civilian service position with the DoD upon graduation. Scholars work as scientists, engineers, or researchers at one of over 200 innovative laboratories across the Army, Navy, Air Force, and larger DoD within the United States.
Department of Defense Scholarship Application Timeline
- Selections and Interviews: Between January and March, applications are reviewed and evaluated by all sponsoring facilities. During this period, the sponsoring facilities may schedule interviews with applicants. To help you prepare applicants, SMART hosted a webinar on Tuesday, January 9, to provide valuable interview tips. For those unable to attend, the recording can be accessed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsmNAmMn_Js&feature=youtu.be.
- Awards: Award notifications are sent in April and awardees will have 14 days to accept or decline the SMART scholarship. Awardees will be required to submit several documents and tasks that faculty can assist them with. More to come in April!
- Site Visits: Between May and July awardees will have the opportunity to visit their sponsoring facilities, meet with their future employers and colleagues, and familiarize themselves with the facility and location.
- Awardee Orientation: SMART is hosting an in-person Orientation in July, which will take place in the DC area. This will prepare awardees for their transition to Phase 1 starting August 1, 2024.
- New Cohort: Awardees begin their Phase 1 academic pursuit with the program starting August 1, 2024. This is when they officially become SMART scholars.
Published on February 9th, 2024
Last updated on February 12th, 2024